Megadeveloper Jamie Purcell and his company, BJB, are systematically trying to empty the Astor House building at 1246 W. Pratt of tenants through a combination of forced evictions, intimidation, and poor conditions. Despite a city court case against the building, many tenants still lack hot water and heat, and the building’s dysfunctional elevators frequently trap residents. The building also suffers a plague of bedbugs and mice. Tenants say building management has threatened to report them for participating in organizing.
But the tenants are fighting back, and you can support them with the following actions!
2. Fill out this form so we can get in touch with you about more things you can do to support the Astor House!
- School Closures and Foreclosure: Three Maps
- NEIGHBORS TELL BANK: HAVE A HEART!
- Mary Bonelli and 70 neighbors and allies hold vigil against 5/3rd Bank and Fannie Mae
- Candlelight vigil to halt Mary Bonelli’s eviction from home of three generations
- Video: Anti-Eviction Caroling with the People’s Santa
- Victims of bank foreclosure share holiday cheer (and family pain) by caroling at banks
- Neighbors in Action Training: Dec. 1 and Dec. 8
- Help Stop Maria’s Eviction!
- Public Meeting to Demand a Moratorium with Tom Dart and Toni Preckwinkle